Many of us will celebrate those we are in love with this Valentine’s Day. But let’s not forget that we should also shower our friends with attention, gifts, and love—with Galentine’s Day!
NBC’s television show Parks and Recreation (2009 – 2015) starred Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope, a Parks and Rec government employee in the rural town of Pawnee, Indiana. In the second season of the show, Leslie celebrates Galentine’s Day. Every February 13th, she would gather her girlfriends and enjoy breakfast together and gifts. As Leslie says in the show, “Ladies celebrating ladies.”
Even though this holiday is technically fictional, it has become a real celebration for many people. More and more companies are offering curated Galentine’s Day presents to send your gal pals. According to a 2020 Bloomberg article, an NFR survey claimed that people ages 35 to 44 are spending an average of $33.33 on gifts for Galentine’s Day, and a third of people ages 18 to 34 said they were planning on getting gifts for friends as well.
Valentine’s Day is usually reserved for those in romantic love, but Galentine’s Day shows us that our platonic relationships are just as worthy of affection. After nearly two years in a pandemic, it’s more important than ever to share the joy.
Here are five ways you can celebrate Galentine’s Day:
1. Send your friend a care package.
2. Zoom drinks party with your friends.
3. Create a mail chain with your friends, so each one gets a curated card.
4. Host a dance party with all the people you love in your life to celebrate being together.
5. Watch the Galentine’s Day episode of Parks and Rec on Peacock while eating Leslie’s favorite meal, waffles.